Types of Midwives

Your Utah Midwives

At Birthing Your Way we believe the midwife client relationship is very important.  Our team of midwives is here to help you through this wonderful time at every step of the way.
Heather Shelly - Midwife

Heather Shelley, CPM, LDEM
Certified Professional Midwife, LDEM

Carol Greenlee - Midwife

Carol Greenlee, CNM
Certified Nurse Midwife

Types of Midwives

Your Midwife Options
There are 3 types of midwives who can practice legally in Utah:
  1. CPM or DEM Certified Professional Midwife or Direct Entry Midwife. In Utah no certification or licensure is required to call yourself a midwife. Therefore, it is up to you, the client, to determine the skill-level and capability of those calling themselves a midwife. Therefore, this midwife may or may not have the CPM credential. Many midwives in this category are skilled, but once again, it is up you to determine the knowledge and skill-level of this midwife. This midwife can carry oxygen, but cannot carry or administer any other medications.
  2. LDEM Licensed Direct Entry Midwife. This is someone who went straight into midwifery and is licensed by the state. She is a CPM, having met the requirements with NARM (North American Registry of Midwives). LDEMs are licensed with the State of Utah and can carry oxygen, lidocaine (for stitching up your perineum in the case of tears), Rhogam for Rh- mothers, pitocin for a hemorrhage, vitamin K for baby, eye ointment for baby, and with a physician’s approval, IVs, if needed, additional medications for hemorrhage, and certain antibiotics for labor. They are not under the supervision of a doctor, but practice independently.
  3. CNM Certified Nurse Midwife. This midwife has gone through formal nurses’ training and certification as well as a midwifery degree and training. Most CNMs work in hospitals, are able to carry medications and write prescriptions.
Please be aware that birthing at a birth center may limit the access to medications, if needed. The medications available to you are determined by the license that your midwife may or may not hold. If you would like access to hemorrhage medications, you MUST choose a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) or Licensed Midwife (LDEM)
Share by: