Many people are unfamiliar with sterile water injections and their benefits. Sterile water injections are an effective method for the relief of back labor pains. Some women will experience what is referred to as “back labor” during the birth process. At times this “back labor” can be so intense that it can affect the mother’s plan and desire for an unmedicated birth. This is where sterile injections come in. A tiny amount of pure, sterile water is injected just under the skin at four locations on the lower back.
Some of the benefits of Sterile Water Injections are:
- There is no harm to mother or baby
- You are able to remain mobile throughout the birth process
- They can be administered as often as desired.
- It has a short lag time for obtaining relief
- It provides significant relief for a common type of labor pain
- There is no effect on your state of consciousness
- They do not interfere with labor progress or ability to push
- They can be done at home births and in out-of-hospital birth centers
- It can be administered by a nurse or midwife – it does not require an anesthesiologist
If you would like more information or if you have any further questions about how sterile injections may help you in labor please contact our office at 801-796-2229.